Featured in academic journals and media outlets like:
My research examines…
Social Identity & Identification
- Primary care physician leaders’ perspectives on opportunities and challenges in health care leadership: A qualitative study. (2022). BMJ Leader.
- Engaging physicians in leadership: Motivations, challenges, and identity-based considerations. (2022). Journal of Healthcare Management.
- Social identity and the prison health worker: Implications for practitioner satisfaction and turnover intentions. (2019). Health Care Management Review.
- Finding meaningful work in difficult circumstances: A study of prison health workers. (2019). Health Services Management Research.
- Voice of the clinician: The case of an Australian health system. (2017). Journal of Health Organization and Management.
- How pretrial expectations and anticipated obstacles impact brand identification. (2016). Journal of Promotion Management.
- The role of satisfaction on alumni perceptions and supportive behaviors. (2015). Services Marketing Quarterly.
- Motivation for alumni donations: a social identity perspective on the role of branding in higher education. (2014). International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing.
- Optimizing alumni engagement: The effect of brand identification on alumni donation behaviors. (2014). International Journal of Educational Management.
- Does brand identification transform alumni into university brand advocates? (2014). International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing.
- How Bias Against Women Persists in Female-Dominated Workplaces. (2022). Harvard Business Review.
- Cross industry comparison of gender bias experienced by women leaders. (2022). Personnel Review.
- What happens to gender bias in female-dominated industries? (2022). Fortune.
- Measures of gender bias affecting women in medicine. (2021). Advances in Health Care Management.
- Gender bias takes toll on women in medicine, study shows. (2021). HealthLeaders Media.
- Measuring the invisible: Development and multi-industry validation of the Gender Bias Scale for women leaders. (2020). Human Resource Development Quarterly.
- New tool to measure gender bias in the workplace may help finally eliminate it. (2020). The Conversation.
- Advocating the use of threshold effects estimation: An illustration using the gender wage gap. (2020). Human Resource Development Quarterly.
Healthcare Workforce & Organization
- Conceptual framework for integrating family caregivers into the health care team: A scoping review. (2022). Medical Care Research and Review.
- Changes in career thinking and work intentions among academic physicians as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. (2022). Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.
- Reconceptualizing family caregivers as part of the health care team. (2021). Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy.
- Hospital cultural competency and attributes of patient safety culture: A study of US hospitals. (2021). Journal of Patient Safety.
- Even superheroes need sleep: Facilitating recovery of healthcare professionals during times of COVID-19. (2021). Advances in Health Care Management.
- Addressing Evolving Patient Concerns around Telehealth in the COVID-19 Era. (2021). American Journal of Managed Care.
- COVID-19 and the primary care workforce: Adjusting to rapid change in new roles and settings. (2020). Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy.
- Hospital staffing patterns and safety culture perceptions: The mediating role of perceived teamwork and perceived handoffs. (2019). Health Care Management Review.
- Readmission rates and their impact on hospital financial performance: A study of Washington hospitals. (2019). INQUIRY.
- Extending the models of employee turnover to include external drivers such as client and industry factors: A multi-country, qualitative assessment. (2019). Preprints.
- Resource based view on safety culture’s influence on hospital performance: The moderating role of EHR implementation. (2018). Health Care Management Review.
- Journey toward evidence-based: Seeking admission to formal program registries. (2016). Health Promotion Practice.
- Confronting Racism at Franklinville Regional Medical Center. In McAlearney, A.S. and Kovner, A.R., Health Services Management: A Case Study Approach, 12th Edition. Health Administration Press: Chicago, IL: In press.
- Theoretically speaking: A user’s guide to theory exposition in publishing health care management research. (2022). Journal of Health Administration Education.
- For your review: Insights from seasoned reviewers and editors on the peer-review process. (2019). Journal of Health Administration Education.
- What do you expect? Low self-control predicts newcomer expectations. (2021). Journal of Education and Human Development.
- Examining college student retention: A closer look at low self-control. (2020). International Journal of Educational Management.
- Recalibrating our understanding of retention. (2017). Journal of College Student Retention.
- College choice and the university brand: Exploring the consumer decision framework. (2016). Higher Education.
- A novel low-cost indicator of student perseverance and its association with college student academic performance. (2018). Asian Social Science.
- Variation in motivations by running ability: Using the theory of reasoned action to predict attitudes about running 5K races. (2014). Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events.
- How Racers’ Motivations Differ by 5K Time. Runners World.
- The role of organizational identity in the YMCA rebrand of 2010. (2013). Sociological Perspectives.
If you have a question about my research or an idea for a collaboration, please feel free to contact me using the form below!